INtelligent, Fast, Interconnected and Efficient devices for Frontier Exploitation in Research and Industry
FOR ASTROPHYSICS, MEDICAL PHYSICS AND PARTICLE PHYSICS
Transfer of data from detector modules to the far-end processors:
Electro-optical conversion and coupling to fibre-optics will be developed to integrate to the front-end.
The ITN will go beyond the state-of-the-art GBT chip under development at CERN (5 Gb/s) to reach the rates needed by LHCb (13 Gb/s) and beyond, requiring VDSM & efficient interconnection technologies also investigating the challenges in the other fields of interest of this project.
TECHNOLOGIES to be investigated by WP3:
1) New Si Photonics technologies, with novel Si multiplexing and light modulators, combining the speed of photonics with the functionality and CMOS fabrication techniques of electronics.
2) Radio wireless links with extremely high frequency technology. This relies on VDSM techno, low power 60 GHz transceivers as well as compact low mass directional antennas for 60 GHz.
3) Optimized systems based on Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM), able to transmit high speed data fluxes, possibly using advanced modulation formats and detection schemes.
4) Advanced optical fibre sensor technologies for distributed and discrete monitoring of various parameters (strains, temperature, humidity, pressure etc.), in harsh environments
5) Advanced Optical wireless communication (OWC) system solutions, using either visible or infrared for high data rate transmission, as a viable alternative to RF wireless for reliable and rapid Deployment.
The latency problem is crucial for both HEP and Astrophysics and will be also part of the training and developments of this project.